Take a little time to smile...


 




Isn't it strange the way our memory works. I remember back when I used to work customer service at a discount store, I was ringing up a customer's purchases, and she said something that caught me off guard. She said, "this might sound a little strange, but you have the prettiest skin I've ever seen." I laughed out loud. I looked up to see if the lady seemed to be off her rocker, but she appeared normal enough. I then whispered my thanks and continued working. When she left the store, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Several of my co-workers asked me if I had a secret, I said, "no just having a great day!" Out of all the things to remember, and all the people. I remember that woman's face, and how she said those words.
I've got freckles. I've never cared for them, but that's me, a freckle face. I used to joke that I would someday turn into a walking freckle. You have to love the skin your in, right? Well, sometimes I didn't, and I remember wishing I could have a tan that Summer, a beautiful glowing tan, but I never tan, I burn and peel. Which now...I know better than to want a tan, since skin cancer runs in my family. Anyways, I had been wishing to have the skin of someone else. I didn't really tell anyone, it wasn't that big of a deal. It was just a thought that had crossed my mind.

Compliments come and compliments go, for whatever reason when they come from a loved one, and I don't know why this seems true. They seem to be lip service. We give our friends and loved ones compliments all the time, and they return them. Strangers don't owe you anything, they don't know you, and may never see you again. That's what makes it special. To get a heartfelt compliment from someone you don't know, and will never be able to return the kindness is one of the purest forms of a compliment.

I have a mission for all my readers.
Will you help spread some kindness this week? 

Instuctions:
As you go about your life this week, when you meet strangers, cashiers, customers, clerks, attendants, the passerby. Find a compliment..something true and honest, and speak up and brighten someone's day! 
If you have the opportunity to give a compliment, come back, and share your experience here in the comments! ~ Have a great week, and remember to take a little time to Smile! ~ Beck

3 comments:

  1. I told a former coworker that she looked very nice when I saw her at the bank. She immediately told me she was told to wear something else that day and that the shirt she had on was not her sister's favorite on her. I told her, "No, she's wrong. You look great!" She smiled and said thanks! She really did look nice and it was so like her to deflect the compliment. Hope it made her day like the one you had Beck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! We should all do this everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absoluely love this! I remember when I was 16 and I hated life more then anything I had a customer come into the store I worked at and told me to smile, that when they see my smile it makes them feel warm and welcome because it was so beautiful. I couldn't help but smile every tim I saw that customer after that!

    ReplyDelete

Love This? Share It!